These are the newest facilities of the Ionian University, located on Ioannou Theotoki street, very close to Saroco central square. The Department of History has been the first department of the Ionian University and functionning since the academic year of 1985-6. Today it is the only Greek University Department destined exclusively for the study of history. The Department of Αrchives, Library Science and Museology, together with the administrative services and the Library of the Ionian University are located in the same facilities, whose operation began in 2009.
It reopened in 1995 in the palace of Saint Michael and Saint George, core of the Historical museum of the city and of the entire island of Corfu. The works of the permanent exhibition of the Gallery consist doubtless evidence of the artistic and intellectual flourishing of the island. The biggest part of the collection of the Gallery includes works of Corfiot painters of the 19th century (Ch. Pachis, P. Prosalentis, A. Giallinas, V. Bokatsiampis, S. Skarvelis, L. Kogevinas, G. Samartzis) They are also exhibited collections of works mainly constituted by donated works (the Samartzis, the Papa, the Makotsis and the Ventouras collection) . The major trends in the works of Corfiot painters of the 19th century are not only related to the academic trends of that period, but are also related to the influence they were getting from Italian painting. In the late 19th century a turn of these artists to the Impressionism is noticed. The palace of Saint Michael and Saint George, where the Gallery along with the Museum of Asian Art are housed, was a work of the years 1819-1924. It consist an important monument of the period of the British occupation. It is one of the first buildings of neoclassical style in Greece. It was named “Place of Saint Michael and Saint George”, because the building was the home of the homonym Order. There were also the offices and the houses of the English Commissioners. Until the union of the Ionian Islands with Greece (1864) the palace was home of the Ionian Senate and Parliament. After 1864, it served as summer residence of the Greek royal family, while it housed the archaeological collection of Corfu.
Α neoclassical complex of buildings in Tsirigoti square, that today houses three departments of the Ionian University. The complex includes the Chalepas building, which was named after the distinguished Greek sculptor who was hospitalized here for quite a few years. The Former Asylum campus houses the Department of Audio and Visual Arts, the Department of Informatics and the Department of Foreign Languages Translation and Interpreting. The classes are being held in various wings of the buildings, including the areas where the kitchen and the rooms of the patients used to be. The main buildings which are being used in the complex are the Goussis building, the building of the Secretariats and the Aretaios building.
It is located in the Old Fortress, a notable work of defensive art and building technique. It was one of the most important defensive complexes in the Mediterranean between the 15th and the 18th century. It consist a separate place to stroll, while it hosts series of permanent and temporary cultural activities.
Τhe Municipal and Regional Theatre of Corfu (DI.PE.THE) was inaugurated on Christmas day of 1998. It has hosted many theatre productions in all of its stages (Central, Children’s, and Experimental). For its productions a great number of creators and artists came together of which many were Corfiots and students at the Ionian University. The productions mentioned above were attended by spectators from cities in Greece and in Italy, where scheduled tours took place.